NxFilter is the best free solution for a self-hosted DNS server/filter I have found so far. Today I am going to try whether it runs on the tiny Zero W model. This uses WiFi and may not be the most performant solution, but allows you to place your DNS server literally anywhere in your house.
You will need to set up your Raspberry for headless operation first, except VNC. (Choose the “desktop” version as it includes JAVA).
Note: This guide roughly follows the the unix installation instructions “using ZIP” from the NxFilter manual:
- Download the latest version of NxFilter with wget
- Unzip to the installation folder (requires root-access)
sudo unzip nxfilter-18.104.22.168.zip -d /nxfilter
- Change to the installation folder
- Make the necessary scripts executable
sudo chmod +x *.sh
Automatic Startup at each Raspberry boot
- Add the line
/nxfilter/bin/startup.sh -dnear the end of the file
cd /etc sudo nano rc.local
- After doing so, the end of the file should look something like
# NxFilter Autostart /nxfilter/bin/startup.sh -d exit 0